Find healthier alternatives for munching: Heathy Habits

Living a healthy lifestyle isn’t based upon diet alone. Incorporating exercise is a good way to maximize the benefits of a long, energy-filled life. If you want to become fit, it is 80% diet 10% exercise and 10% genetics according to Tosca Reno, a nutrition expert and the author of the book “Eat Clean.” If you eat a lot of junk food and then work out it’s less likely you will see results.

Eating healthy and exercising doesn’t have to be a chore. In fact, when you look forward to that run or that all natural peanut butter on a whole wheat english muffin it won’t seem like one. If you don’t like vegetables, you don’t have to eat them raw. Add them to a pasta dish or blend spinach in with a fruit smoothie–you won’t even taste it. You will also get the benefit of nutrition.

One of my favorite recipes is zucchini pancakes. It’s almost carb free, contains protein from the eggs and you get fiber, potassium and iron from the zucchini. They don’t even taste bland, and they are crispy yet doughy in the middle just like a regular pancake.

If your eating habits aren’t the best, don’t fret! You don’t necessarily don’t have to quit junk food cold turkey. Let’s be honest, I couldn’t survive without chocolate or ice cream. Casually swap out an unhealthy choice for better ones. For example, choose air-popped popcorn instead of chips. This alone will save hundreds of calories, fat, sugar, and all the processed ingredients. Limit your treats for twice a week. That way, they will become even more rewarding and tasty.

Eating better doesn’t have to be painful. You can make the simplest of changes throughout the day and overtime your choices will add up to make a healthier you.

Katie Allen
Reporter and Healthy Habits Blogger  

$50
$1000