Jean overload: Hitting the Runway

Today in fashion, people are expanding their horizon on jeans. Instead of wearing jeans just as pants, it is now in style to wear jeans shirts and jean jackets. The only problem with the new trend is that people tend to overdo denim.

I am a fan of denim shirts. I especially love the look of a button up denim shirt paired with brightly colored pant (Maybe even jeggings! Aeropostale is the perfect place to purchase that!) The problems occur when people wear a jean shirt and regular jeans at the same time. This is a definite no-no.

Wearing a complete jean outfit does not look good. When an outfit consists of just denim material, it looks overdone. Sure, it’s nice to test the waters when it comes to style, but in this case, the waters should be left alone. When I see someone wearing a nice jean jacket, I think “Cute!” But then I see the jeans they chose to wear with it, it makes me want to hit my head against a brick wall.

You know that saying “A little goes a long way?” Well that applies to this particular subject. Even if you love jean clothing, you don’t have to cover every ounce of your body in it.

Another concept people don’t quite grasp is jean jackets. Again, don’t wear it when you are already wearing jeans. This type of jacket is not hard to pull off. On a breezy fall morning when you are rushing around, don’t hesitate to grab that jean jacket you have been staring at the past few months. Sporting a denim jacket over a tank says cute and casual.

As new trends are introduced into the world, people often forget to apply the rules that go with them. If you decide to wear a jean shirt, do not, and I repeat, do not wear jeans. A jean jacket is fashion forward, but when you match it with a pair of jeans, you’re taking ten steps backwards. This trend is absolutely adorable, but if you don’t do it right, it can look like a hot mess.

Ashley Quintela
West Wind Features Editor and Hitting the Runway Blogger

$50
$1000