Staff Editorial: Can You Put A Price on Education?

The $76 million Bellevue Public Schools bond issue has sparked controversy, dividing the community between those who support the issue and those who do not. Among those who advocate to pass this bond is the Thunderbeat staff.

One of the crucial reasons is to improve the educational environments of children. As high school students, Bellevue West is where we spend a majority of our time; it is our home away from home.

To us, neglecting to improve the environment in which you expect us to learn, grow, and succeed is hypocritical. In a more simplified sense, it compares to a house owner reluctant to fix a leaky roof or replace worn out furniture.

Considering a broader perspective, schools are the heart of the Bellevue community. They are what brings us together, from the East-West game to partnering with local businesses.

Failure to pass the bond issue not only wounds our community, but weakens the competitiveness of our school district as well. Without continuous funding, BPS will continue to fall behind in technology, be unable to maintain current facilities, and will soon be powerless to compete with other schools around the Metro.

Without additional funding, program cuts are more than possible. Large budget cuts to multiple programs such as band and the Early Childhood Center were proposed in 2015. If the bond does not pass, the money to make needed repairs will have to come from somewhere, which could directly affect programs and that engage and enrich the student experience.

Overall, we feel that every high school student should actively promote funding Bellevue Public Schools. Especially seniors, as some of us have been a part of this district for nearly thirteen years. Take pride in your district, take pride in your school.

Human rights activist Malcolm X once said that “education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” We, the student body–we are today, and we are also the future.

If we–and, more importantly, our siblings–want to go out into the world and be productive members of the community we have to demand to be educated with sufficient resources in high school. Stated bluntly, ensuring adequate funding for Bellevue Public Schools is laying the groundwork for our success.

Editorial Board

$50
$1000