One shouldn’t underestimate Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow.

Yes, I know what you are thinking. What could I possibly have to say about Tim Tebow that has not been on ESPN yet?

I have noticed that there are more people out there that dislike Tebow than people that like him. Could it be because his passer rating has only surpassed 100 in three games this past season? Could it be because he rarely completes 50% of his passes? Or could it even be because in spite of this he still finds ways to win in the fourth quarter? The most popular comment from the Tebow “haters” is, “He is a terrible quarterback.”

But what makes a good quarterback?

Yes a high passer rating (that no one can understand what it means, or how to calculate) is nice on your quarterback resume, but who remembers that? What was Aaron Rodgers’ passer rating in last year’s Superbowl? It doesn’t matter.

There are two reasons that Tim Tebow is a good quarterback. Mind you I did not say a great quarterback because we all know he has some work to do to get there, but I am here to tell you he is a good quarterback that deserves a good reputation.

The first reason is winning. He wins football games. I’m not sure how to make it any more simple than that. He had a starting record of 7-2 before the three game skid at the end of the season, that has to count for something.

Jets reciever Santonio Holmes once said, “Winning is all that matters,”

When looking back on a player’s career, I think of the great plays he has made. Whether it be a comeback late in the fourth quarter, or he makes the unthinkable happen on any given play. But most of all, I think of wins. No one sees a quarterback on a losing team and says, “Hey, that guy is a great quarterback.” If he was a great quarterback shouldn’t his team be winning?

Then there’s the argument of him being surrounded by untalented players. I just smile when I hear this because a good quarterback makes his team look good, and his presence causes talent.

Don’t believe me?

Here is the second reason why Tim Tebow is a good quarterback. This a dynamic of the game that people rarely choose to look at.

His leadership.

We all have heard the speech he gave at the University of Florida after a loss. But I think one single part of the speech should be revisited:

“You will never see someone push the rest of the team as hard as I will push everybody the rest of the season. You will never see a team play harder than we will the rest of the season.”

Even if you have not jumped on the Tebow bandwagon you have to admit that he is a great leader. He has a way of pumping up the team, and making them play better.

Lest I remind you the Broncos, were 1-4 at the beginning of the season, and 4-12 the previous season. The Broncos did not come up with an energy drink to play better. They did not buy the new Nike cleats in order to perform better.

Then what happened to suddenly make a team of misfits into a team that has magically won games?

They changed quarterbacks.

They changed to a quarterback that refuses to lose, and that has a real passion for the game of football.

If the Denver Broncos began with a record of 7-2 rather than 1-4, they would have easily made the playoffs.

Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs for the first time since 2005. He then went one step forward and defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers in overtime 29-23.

Yes, he got smothered by the New England Patriots in the next round but the Pats are going to the Super Bowl. So does that really count?

There is a few things that even Tebow haters cannot deny:

1. If the Broncos kept Kyle Orton as their quarterback they would not have made it to the playoffs.
  2. Tebow quickly turned around the mentality of the team as a whole.
  3. He has a way of making things interesting, and normally keeps his team in it til the end.
  4. He finds a way to win.

He needs to make monstrous improvements to be considered a great quarterback, but by winning games and inspiring his team to play at levels that have not played at for years. I am going to give him credit and say he is a good quarterback. If you change your mind there is always a spot next to me on the Tebow wagon.

Yes, don’t worry, I am saving you a spot.