After early win, football team expects strong season

Football+preseason

[flagallery gid=37]

The Bellevue West football team defeated 2013 state runner-ups Omaha Westside, 41-0 on Friday night. The Thunderbirds are confident about the rest of their season.

Consisting of seven returning starters, Bellevue West’s offense will see some newer, younger faces. Wyoming recruit CJ Johnson will provide leadership among the receiving corps.

“We have four of the best receivers in the state. Our pass game is definitely a strong point,” junior corner Amiah Jackson said.

Stepping up to join three returning receivers, including brothers Cade Johnson and CJ Johnson and senior Malik Hluchoweckyj, will be sophomore Chris Finn.

“Finn seems to be pretty talented and driven. Our line is definitely strong. Hopefully they will continue to develop so that we can run the ball better than we could last year,” head coach Michael Huffman said.

Sophomore lineman Tyler Ciurej noticed the strengths the team has to offer.

“Our stronger points are that we have so many, fast athletic people,” Ciurej said.

Despite the confidence and talent on this football team, Huffman stresses the importance of focus.

“We’ve got all of our plays. We just have to make sure we execute well,” Huffman said.

Bellevue West plays Papio South tonight, Sept. 5, at 7 p.m. at Foundation Field.

Codi Pierce
Reporter
$50
$1000