Senior athletes leave advice for underclassmen

Senior Asher Jenkins will attend the United States Air Force Academy in the fall.
Jake Breaux
Senior Nate Centineo, during his bowling career at Bellevue West, bowled a perfect game and qualified for state all four years.
““Being able to be in control of your emotions is the strongest ability you could possibly have.”

Senior Nathaniel Centineo bowled with the varsity boys bowling team for four years. 

He said the best advice he was ever given was, “mentality is everything,” and with this advice he improved.

“Physically and mentally, I’ve gotten stronger over the years which has helped me be in more control of my sport physically,” Centineo said. “And I’ve improved my mental game a lot over the last four years which helps me in staying consistent throughout and not letting past things affect me.”

During his senior year, Centineo worked hard and put in the work as it was his last shot at high school sports. But bowling was not the only area he improved upon.

“I feel the advice is important because those words were a huge part of the reason I’ve been able to grow in life, not just in bowling,” Centineo said.

With his senior season finished, Centinero shares his advice for younger athletes.

“Not only is bowling based on your mentality, but so is everything in life,” Centineo said. “Being able to be in control of your emotions is the strongest ability you could possibly have.” 

Senior Nate Centineo, during his bowling career at Bellevue West, bowled a perfect game and qualified for state all four years. (Sophie Redler )
Senior Kayla Robinson swam for four years on the Bellevue West swim team.
“Don’t be afraid to try new things.”

Through discipline and practice, senior Kayla Robinson swam for four years on the Bellevue West swim team.

“I just feel like I’ve really grown as a person,” Robinson said. “I feel like I’m more outgoing. Since I’ve had to work with my team, I feel like I’ve become more of a leader.”

Robinson said the best advice she was given was to have fun and don’t stress out about everything. Throughout her years and hours put in, she has made friends and grown.

“My biggest piece of advice is don’t be afraid to try new things,” Robinson said. “Trying something new can really change your life, honestly. You shouldn’t be scared.” 

Senior Kayla Robinson swam for four years on the Bellevue West swim team. (Leah Bates)
Senior Grant Schaefer runs at a track meet at Bellevue East High School on March 28.
“Do not overwork yourself.”

Senior Grant Schaefer ran cross country and track from freshman to senior year.

“Being able to find a sport that I know I’m comfortable in, which is something I didn’t really experience before I got into high school, and just being able to be in cross country and track as a sport I can feel like I belong in is something I can enjoy year round,” Schaefer said.

The best advice Schaefer was given was to trust the process and to “trust yourself.” His senior season this was especially true.

“So you always want to go off strong so that when you look back, you never have any regrets,” Schaefer said. “So you always go out as hard as you can senior season, harder than you’ve ever gone through freshman, sophomore and junior year, because you don’t want to leave any doubts left once you believe.”

While putting in the work is important, that’s not the only advice Schaefer had to give.

“Don’t overwork yourself right off the bat,” Schaefer said. “That’s something that I struggled a bit with when I was a freshman. Do not overwork yourself. Start out small, build yourself up and you’ll see fantastic results.” 

Senior Grant Schaefer runs at a track meet at Bellevue East High School on March 28. (Max Graziano)
“Just keep on working.”

Throughout his years at Bellevue West, Senior Asher Jenkins has played in three sports: football, basketball, and track. 

“It has been fun my past four years, because it’s been like a really well-known team and school-wise won state championships and a lot of great athletes,” Jenkins said.

For Jenkins, trusting in coaches and motivating himself were big things through his high school seasons.  

“I’d say it’s like, such a big realization is finally happening and everything he wants to happen in your high school career will either happen or it won’t,” Jenkins said. “And I’d say it’s happening for me. I’m happy about that”

While competing in his final track season, Jenkin shares his biggest advice for future athletes.

“Just keep on working, do your best,” Jenkins said. “Don’t stop.”

Senior Asher Jenkins will attend the United States Air Force Academy in the fall. (Jake Breaux)
Senior Amy Oltman runs down the court during the state basketball tournament in 2024.
“Continue to grow as a teammate.”

Senior Amy Oltman played girls basketball and ran track throughout her four years of high school. Her senior season gave her a new outlook on her years.

“Being a senior definitely puts a different perspective on sports,” Oltman said. “I think it has taught me to enjoy every moment and experience both good and bad. It’s also given me a different role as a leader which is being able to show underclassmen how to grow and continue a culture that we have previously built. It’s also put a little more urgency on everything I’ve been a part of, knowing this is my last chance to do these things and leave a mark.”

A piece of advice given to her was to take advantage of opportunities and to trust your training. 

“I feel like my work ethic and commitment to what I’m doing has increased tremendously and the ability to mentor and be there for underclassmen these past two years has helped me become a better teammate and leader,” Oltman said.

Throughout her years Oltman said she has improved, found her place, and learned. 

“My advice is to enjoy every moment,” Oltman said. “Every practice, game, meet, with the people around you. When things get hard don’t give up and continue to grow as a teammate and find your role and try to excel in whatever role that is.”

Senior Amy Oltman runs down the court during the state basketball tournament in 2024. (Emmalie Herd)
$50
$1000