“Once Upon a Mattress” inspires

“Once Upon A Mattress” is Bellevue West’s latest musical production. This spin-off of the classic “Princess and the Pea” changes a few major details. A different kind of princess, a naïve man-child prince, an over the top queen, and a perverted mute king are just some of the characters in this “fairytale.”

Princess Winnifred was by far the funniest character in the show, as expected. She was sweet, oddly charming, completely random and “SHE SWAM THE MOAT.” Katy Boone completely impressed me with being able to dance as intricately as she did and still be able to sing with everything she had.

Learning the “Spanish Panic” dance is on my bucket list. The actors looked like they were having so much fun even if they were dropping like hot potatoes at the end of it.

I’ve never seen a character like King Sextimus. He was one of the funniest characters, even if he had no more than 15 words in the entire production. Far from sign language, his gestures were over the top and completely understandable.

The funniest part was the “Quiet” rap. I loved the way it started out just as people talking and turned into one of the Ladies in Waiting rapping. It felt like something out of a movie, but it stopped too short and left me wanting more.

“Man to Man Talk” gave me a new way of telling my kids about the birds and the bees. It blew my mind how Prince Dauntless was so sheltered, he doesn’t even know what happens on a wedding night. It surprisingly didn’t make me uncomfortable because the motions made were basic: boy, girl, flower, and bee.

The singing never hit a bad note. The first big group number, “An Opening for a Princess” remained one of my favorite numbers throughout the show; it was a great way to introduce the story’s plot.

Caitie Kieser and Matt Thompson did a phenomenal job of “In a Little While.” The notes seemed difficult but they flawlessly executed them. However, I was pondering through the entire play, “Why do they say ‘1, 2, 3, 4?’ Is she having twins or nah?” They said it at least 10 times and every time I had to stop and think about it.

“Song of Love” made me to be part of the show. “With an F and an R and an E D. F-R-E-D!” I wanted to be a Lady in Waiting dancing and singing in the castle. I found myself singing it even after the musical ended.

For all those high points, some parts seemed to drag. “Very Soft Shoes” was the most random song ever. It felt like fluff to fill in the show, and seemed like it was at least eight minutes long.

Overall “Once Upon A Mattress” was an entertaining force to be reckoned with. The musical’s remaining shows are Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. Students get in for one show free, adult tickets are $7, students without student I.D. or who would like to see the show a second time are $3.

Photo gallery of the musical can be found here.

Sidney Marks
Entertainment Editor  

$0
$1000