“Her” points out society’s issues

Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson take the big screen in “Her.” In a technology based society, Theodore (Phoenix) develops strong feelings for his computer system Samantha, voiced by Johansson. “Her” points out that humans are too dependent on technology.

The acting couldn’t be better. Phoenix plays a broken-hearted man that can only be mended by his computer operating system, the OS. His awkward and quiet persona were portrayed perfectly throughout the film.

After seeing this film, I understand why Johansson is up for so many awards. Though she was never seen in the movie, her character is well developed. I never realized how much I loved the sound of her voice until that became the main focus of the movie. Solely based on inflection, I can understand what emotions Samantha is feeling.

The main characters worked well together. Though Samantha was just an operating system, the love between the two was endearing yet unconventional. I enjoyed the aspect of love being blind, however, the thought of falling in love with technology worries me. This movie made me realize that today’s society depends too much on technology. Throughout the film, human contact is limited. Citizens roam the city with an earbud in order to communicate with the OS. People didn’t speak with people, but stared at their digital screens. Commentary works well in this movies because like it or not, this is what society is coming to.

“Her” takes a twist on everyday actions. At one point in the movie, Theodore and Samantha take their relationship to the next level by having erotic conversations. At first, I thought this scene was too explicit, but by the end of the film, I knew why it was necessary. Though the scene may be a tad awkward if you plan on seeing this movie with your mom, it is a key element in the film.

By becoming intimate with his OS, a human action has now transformed into a technological dependency. Such a personal act is shared with a computer system which highlights the obsession individuals have with technology. I find it sad because it shows the lack human contact in society. During that part of the movie, the screen turns back forcing you to focus on the sounds of their new found relationship. It was a little much.

The movie itself was well done. From awkward characters to pointing out the problems society currently has, the movie kept me interested. “Her” transforms love from a personal connection to a technological advance. I haven’t seen a movie quite like it.

Ashley Quintela
Editor in Chief and Hitting the Runway Blogger 

$50
$1000