Bellevue West students celebrate German Week

Germen Week from Bellevue Video Yearbook on Vimeo.

Video by Rachel Colwell 

National German Week was celebrated from Sept. 30 to Oct. 4, to recognize the contributions of German culture to the modern world. German-Americans made a huge impact on American culture by sharing new foods and traditions.

Bellevue West German Club celebrated National German Week by hosting a pep rally in the south gym on Friday, Oct. 4.The goal of the pep rally during German Week was to “spread the word that learning the German language and culture is fun,” German teacher Amanda Messerschmitt, who is German, said.

“My favorite part about being involved is being able to practice the language,” President of German club senior Rachel Colwell said. “I think it’s fun.”

Colwell said that the celebration included a German interview, and fun activities involving German.

Colwell, who has spoken German since eighth grade and lived in Germany, encouraged German speakers to celebrate German Week, and get involved in German club.

Messerschmitt also had her German classes participate in a variety of activities to promote German week, such as singing German songs, creating artwork inspired by German artists, and doing a community project. Her upper level students taught elementary students about the German language and culture.

Madeline Hall
Guest Reporter
$50
$1000