Swimmers qualify for state

As the swim season comes to an end, Bellevue West’s top swimmers are getting ready to compete in the NSAA state swim meet. 

Ryan Bartlett will be competing in the boys 200 freestyle and the 100 backstroke. He will also be competing in the boys 200 and 400 yard freestyle relays. Additionally, Cailyn Nielsen will be competing in the 200 yard medley and the 200 yard freestyle relays.

“I like swimming because when you are in the water you get a break from everything outside of it,” said senior Cailyn Nielsen in an email. 

Nielsen swims the 100 breaststroke, 100 freestyle, 50 freestyle, and the 200 freestyle. Although she does all of these, her favorite stroke is the 100 breaststroke. She also mentioned that she swims the breaststroke for the medley relays, and as a team they are planning to win state this year.

Junior Ryan Bartlett doesn’t have a preferred stroke. For his swimming season, he stretches, goes to physical therapy for his knees and shoulders, and practices a lot. 

“I have to think of it like it is just another practice,” said Junior Ryan Bartlett. “and then physically, I just kind of put trust in my coach that she knows what she’s doing.”

Bartlett is planning on swimming in college. 

To prepare mentally for a meet, Bartlett said he tries to just not think about it, and not make it a huge deal. Although not everyone thinks just as Bartlett does, he tries to motivate his teammates and hype them up. Bartlett said that he especially tries to stay positive for his teammates in the morning because he wants to show people it’s worth it and they are doing a good job.  

“We all have a really good relationship and I am happy to be a part of a team that doesn’t have a lot of drama,” Nielsen said. 

As a team bonding activity, the team has dinners before every meet on weekends. Before Nielsen’s swim meets, she makes sure to go to bed early because she usually has to be at the school at 6 a.m. She said she feels it is important to eat small but fulfilling breakfast before the meet, and she makes sure to listen to music while standing behind the block before her race comes up.  

“I’m happy for all of the opportunities that Bellevue West has provided for me and I am excited for what my future holds for swimming, ” Nielsen said.

$50
$1000