Always striving to improve: Jayda Turner brings twirling to West

Since its inception in 2021, junior Jayda Turner has twirled for the T-bird Twirlers at home football games in the hopes to prepare for collegiate twirling. However, her affinity for baton twirling started way before her freshman year.

Turner found her start in twirling at age three: after passing by Sue’s Stepper-ettes–the largest twirling studio in the Midwest–everyday before daycare, Turner’s mom eventually asked her if she wanted to try out twirling. 

“And I said, ‘yes’,” Turner said. “And after the first time, I absolutely loved it.”

In middle school, Turner’s friend since first grade, now-junior Addi Hedin, joined her in twirling. According to Hedin, the rest is history, and they’ve remained friends and teammates since then.

“Basically anything Jayda does–it’s just inspiring,” Hedin said. “I’m not even kidding. She could do, like, something so small and simple, but it can end up doing so much.”

In eighth grade Turner started dabbling in dance as well, expanding her horizons for expression in the physical arts. According to Turner, she’s tried out many styles of dance, including ballet.

“My favorite style is lyrical or [also called] contemporary,” Turner said. “Because I feel that’s what you can put the most emotion into.”

The contemporary style of dance is composed of elements taken from different genres such as modern, classical ballet, and jazz. Turner says she takes a similar approach in baton twirling, preferring slower songs or songs with more expressed meaning.

Now, Turner is a part of the Thunderettes and the T-bird Twirlers. The twirling team is composed of four girls: co-captains junior Addi Hedin and Turner, freshman Zoey Schwager, and sophomore Kinzie Danielson.

“Since freshman year, it’s always been just us for those two years,” Hedin said. “And now, junior year, we added two more people. It’s been a little stressful and chaotic at the beginning. But having Jayda there helps build the team and stick together.”

Because the team is small and they aren’t required to perform at every game, they hold fewer practices. According to Hedin, although they are co-captains, Turner usually seems like the one 

solely responsible for the group because of how well she takes charge. 

“You have to be a little nitpicky and be able to find the small things to make everyone look together,” Turner said.

To Turner, baton twirling is much more than just a sport.

“I always want to be better than I was the day before,” Turner said. “So picking up a baton everyday I strive to accomplish one more thing, and I feel like that’s a very good thing to push for–to always accomplish one more thing each day.”

$50
$1000