Bellevue West football closes out against Elkhorn South, advances to semifinals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Defensive players head back to the line after a play in the State Quarterfinal on Nov. 2, 2018.

Brooke Jones

Brooke Jones

Brooke Jones

Brooke Jones, Reporter

What happened: On Friday, Nov. 10, No. 3 Bellevue West defeated the No. 11 Elkhorn South Storm 38-31. After trailing by six at halftime, Bellevue West outscored Elkhorn South 16-3 in the second half to advance to the semifinals.

By the numbers: Junior Jevyon Ducker led the West offense to victory with 206 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns on 34 carries. Senior quarterback Evan Kieser threw for 240 yards on 16 of 30 completions. Senior receiver Shane Dailey was a big playmaker throughout the game, leading the team in receiving with 115 yards on three catches. Junior Zavier Betts also added 49 receiving yards and a touchdown.

Who showed up: Reasonably sized crowds from both schools showed up to support their teams. The theme for the West student section was Christmas, and students showed up in Santa hats and Christmas pajamas to get in the spirit.

Next up: Bellevue West will host the No. 7 Grand Island Islanders at Faiman Field on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. in the NSAA Class A semifinals.