West volleyball beats crosstown rival on Senior Night

Kinley Hamilton, Reporter

WHAT HAPPENED: On Tuesday, Oct. 16, the Bellevue West Varsity Volleyball team won their Senior Night game against the Bellevue East Chieftains in straight sets, 25-21, 25-16, 25-16. This win improved the T-birds’ ranking to 18-15 and the Omaha World Herald Class A ranks Bellevue West as 9th.

BY THE NUMBERS: West led early against East in the first set, but the Chieftains were catching up quickly as the score went from 17-11 to 19-18 in a matter of minutes. West eventually won the first set 25-21. In the second set East had a couple of hitting errors that gave West the lead for the rest of the set and a win of 25-16. East finally caught up to West in the third and final set with a tie of 10-10, however West pulled through and won 25-16.

DID YOU SEE THAT:  West had many impressive plays, but senior Parker Lauterbach, shocked the crowd with her surprisingly legal move. Lauterbach saved a play by kicking the ball before it hit the ground back onto East’s side, earning them their second point of the first set. You can watch the play here.

IN THE CROWD: The Bellevue West volleyball student section, the Dirty Birds, kept the energy high throughout the whole game. Both Varsity cheer teams showed their support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month with West having bright pink pom-poms and East having light pink hair bows.

NEXT UP: Bellevue West is awaiting their district assignment from the Volleyball Varsity Metro Tournament starting Oct. 25.