DECA students earn bid to national competition

Sara Fogarty, Copy Editor

On March 15 and 16, the Bellevue West DECA chapter competed at the State Career Development Conference in Lincoln, Nebraska. 37 students qualified for the International Career Development Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.

Some students, such as seniors Emma Allison, Matt Koenigsman, and junior Michael Smilko, who coordinated and promoted the “Monster Mash Run/Walk” with Children’s Hospital, organized community-wide events to support their projects.

“The ‘Monster Mash Run/Walk’ gave us the perfect opportunity to help promote obesity and use our marketing skills to better this event for future years,” Allison said.

These students then presented to a panel of judges, explaining their projects. Placing third or higher in each category earned students a bid to nationals.

36 students qualified for nationals specifically through project presentations. Junior Jordan Higganbothm also qualified by placing first in the role play category, bringing Bellevue West’s national qualifier total to 37.

At the beginning of the school year, students chose a business category to compete in and created projects centered around numerous areas throughout the community, nation, and even the world. Each project was entered into a competition category, ranging anywhere from Community Service to Public Relations.

The national competition will take place from April 21-24.