Baseball Recap: Povich, aggressive baserunning lead to season opener win over Ralston

AJ Forbes, Co-Editor-in-Chief

What happened: On Saturday, March 17, Opening Day came a little late for Bellevue West as the Thunderbirds began the 2018 season at home against the Ralston Rams. Bellevue West produced a shutout as they defeated the Rams 5-0.

By the numbers: The Thunderbird’s ace, senior Cade Povich, kept the Rams off the bases and off the scoreboard to secure his first win of his last season in the purple and gold. Povich finished the day with seven strikeouts in three-and-two-thirds innings pitched without allowing a hit.

Did you see that?: Aggressive baserunning animated the Thunderbird offense. The first two runs scored by Bellevue West were on two passed balls behind home plate with senior Noah Hammond and junior Taylor Hoskinson coming in from third base. Head coach Jason Shockey continued his emphasis on aggressive baserunning as senior Joe Dolincheck had three stolen bases, while fellow senior Matt Koenigsman had a sliding triple.

Up next: Bellevue West will travel to Millard North High School to face the Mustangs today, March 19, at 4:30 p.m.