Trending app motivates students

App displays remaining time left to earn points

Eric Morris

Eric Morris

Kortney Buresh, Entertainment editor

During the daily activities of class a familiar buzz interrupts and begins the internal battle of whether or not to check the taunting message. These thoughts are a daily struggle for many high schoolers who want to be able to communicate with friends without falling behind in classroom discussion.

The time has come where the battle has become easier. A new app has introduced a new motivation unlike any before. The pocket points app provides rewards in response to staying off phones, while at school.

How it works once the app is downloaded and an account is set up, allow the app to access location. This is so the app will know the user is on campus. Once the app is in use, which is by opening the app and locking the phone, it is now able  to earn points.

Every 20 minutes the phone is locked, a point is earned. The more you use the app the faster the points will come in each 20 minutes.

Pocket Points also created a way for students to look forward to a not so popular day by offering  “Double Point Tuesdays.” Where every minute off the phone counts for double the points.

What’s great about it is, as long as your phone is locked, you can still listen to music in class, use the calculator, or any other quick gadget on the iPhone.

The anxious task of not giving in to a message or update while in class comes to its worth when you decide to use the points you have earned.

Any user can browse the gifts they’re able to buy, by clicking on the gifts icon on the side bar. A “world” of opportunities is opened by clicking this. Each gift is a different value based on points earned. Most gifts are more like coupons that are sponsored by business that are categorized by local, online, and “Staff picks.”

Gifts, or coupons range from “a free hamburger with fries purchased with a medium drink” to “15% off an online purchase at Ivory Ella.”

If these gifts aren’t already enough motivation, there is also a competitive leader board. Since it is hooked up with location, each account is linked to everyone who is signed into the same school. Students and teachers are put on a leaderboard by points. Theres also an option to switch an account to “private” so the specific name won’t show up but will still be able to compete.

The idea of earning rewards for doing something kids our age had to do years ago, is comical, yet convenient. If this is how our generation will be able to put our phones down in class, I’m in.