Denim for Dollars: Teachers raise funds for the NSEA

Through the week of November 16-20, staff at Bellevue West raised $834 towards the Nebraska State Educators Association Children’s Fund.

NSEA established the fund in 1994 to provide for students are aren’t given basic necessities of food, clothing, or shelter. According to the NSEA website, the fund was established to “fulfill modest and immediate needs of these students.”

Since the 2010-2011 school year, staff within the Bellevue Public Schools district has raised over $32,000 for the children’s fund because of Denim Days.

“I think everybody’s heart is with the children and for those children that aren’t provided with the proper healthcare and clothing or love,” English Paraprofessional Dee Barber said. “Our world is all about kids, so we like having an opportunity to support that type of thing.”

All BPS employees are invited to participate in Denim Days. They can choose to pay a flat $10 for a full week of wearing jeans, or $3 per day.

Math teacher Angela Daugh trey is the building representative at West for the fundraiser. She said that there was not a particular goal to be raised, but rather to be able to meet how much was raised last year–over $700

The NSEA website said the funds “ensure that the physical, social and emotional needs of students do not stand in the way of their success at school.”

To students, wearing jeans doesn’t seem like a big deal, but most teachers participate in any fundraiser to be able to wear them.

Colonel Vanderhoof participated in every day but one of Denim Days.

“Anytime I can wear denim instead of a uniform, I’m happy,” Vanderhoof said.

Daughtrey said she is unsure of the reason teachers enjoy wearing jeans, but it’s an easy way to raise money.

Students in Bellevue and across the state of Nebraska have benefitted from this fund. Daughtrey remembers some students who have received glasses, while others might receive medical expenses, clothing, or school supplies.

“If anywhere there’s a child in need, if a teacher petitions this fund, then potentially those NSEA funds can be used,” Daughtrey said.

Vanderhoof said he knows it’s a good cause, and to help kids who might not have the privileges or family life that offers them an opportunity to succeed.

“It really is a privilege to to be able to contribute to something that would benefit children that would otherwise not have these types of services,” Barber said.

For information, donations, or petitions for the fund, go to NSEA’s website.

Emily Wilson
Reporter

$50
$1000