Temperature and tempo play role in T-Birds’ victory

Running back senior Cole Patterson escapes the Chieftain defense at the annual East-West football game on Aug. 30, 2013. Patterson ended the night with 51 yard total on five carries. Photo by Katie Begley

Westeast from Bellevue Video Yearbook on Vimeo.
Video by Rachel Colwell, Tessa Perez, Morgan Keith, Sam Bradbury and Sidney Marks 

In the 36th edition of the Bellevue East versus Bellevue West football game, Bellevue West won 41-13. The 95 degree temperature could not stop the energy of the Bellevue West student section and fans.

Both teams started off slow, neither scoring until the second quarter when senior Rusty Barber ran 98 yards after a Chieftain fumble on the Thunderbird 2-yard line. Bellevue East tied up the game with 5:43 left in the second quarter by a senior receiver Brady Pelzer run. But forty seconds later, Bellevue West receiver Clester Johnson Jr. caught a 51-yard touchdown pass.

With 29.5 seconds left in the first half, Bellevue East senior quarterback Trev Lovell connected with Pelzer for a touchdown. The point-after attempt was far left, leaving Bellevue West with a 14-13 lead. Johnson caught his second touchdown of the night with 11 seconds left in the second quarter, allowing Bellevue West to exit the field with a 21-13 lead at the half.

The second half belonged to the Thunderbirds, as senior quarterback Brad Brazeal racked up 263 passing yards and added 89 rushing yards for the night. His favorite target tonight seemed to be Johnson, who caught three touchdowns. Johnson caught 6 of 11 passes with 153 total receiving yards, while junior receiver Malik Hluchoweckyj also chipped in one touchdown.

Despite the loss, the Chieftain offense had a bright spot in Pelzer who had 116 total yards. Lovell also added 162 yards with one passing touchdown.

This was the fourth straight year Bellevue West defeated their cross-town rival.

Nick Wilkinson
Sports Editor
With additional reporting by Sophia Vanfosson

$50
$1000