Parents and staff give feedback on week long spring break

Spring Break from Bellevue Video Yearbook on Vimeo.

Video by Tessa Perez, Sidney Marks, and Aimee Hunter.

Students and teachers in Bellevue Public Schools have never received a week long spring break, but in the next two years they might.

“The school board asked for more input into the 2014-15 school calendar.  Staff and parents were asked for their input,” Bellevue Public Schools Assistant Superintendent Jeff Rippe said.

During Parent/Teacher conferences in March, parents and staff were asked for feedback on what they think Bellevue Public School’s new break policy should be.

Three options were available to choose from. Parents gave their feedback at conferences or online. Staff members, however, submitted their input a week after conferences.

“Teachers got an email and if you clicked the link you could choose whatever option you wanted,” Social Studies teacher Stephanie Sexton said.

The three available choices were put into a document that parents and staff accessed. With a calendar at hand, parents and staff could better understand their options.

“Three calendars were presented. One was similar to this year’s calendar, one had a week-long spring break attached to Easter and the third option had a week-long spring break not attached to Easter,” Rippe said.

The school calendar for this year ends with six full weeks of school. If parents and staff prefered the calendar similar to the 2013-14 school year, there won’t be a major change in the future calendar.

“I voted for the third option [week long spring break not attached to Easter], because I think having a spring break during the spring will help everyone stay focused,” Sexton said.

Regardless of what calendar is chosen, the new break policy will not be carried out until the 2014-15 school year if passed by the school board.

“All three options received positive feedback.  The second option [week long spring break attached to Easter] will be recommended to the school board,” Rippe said.

Allowing the parents and staff to vote was a way to raise attention to the future break policy and give them a choice.

“It has not been a big issue lately. However, there have always been some staff members and parents that have asked about having a week-long spring break,” Rippe said.

Chloe Brim
Reporter 

$50
$1000