Track seeks a steady season

With a new track season comes new coaches and new star athletes. Both coaches and students hope to have more of a steady season.

“We’d like to win a couple more meets,” Boys Head Coach Brent Litz said, “We won some here and there sporadically.”

Litz hopes the track athletes get better as far as personal bests and records. The team lost key athletes Enrique Alvarez, Kayla Johnson and Taryn Derickson to graduation. Sophomore Malik Hluchoweckyj placed seventh in the high jump and sophomore Sage Meyer placed third in the high jump at the 2012 state meet.

“We’re just looking to score points get points out of our field events and then hopefully have some surprises in the sprints,” Litz said.

Long distance coach Stacie Ahlers is new to Bellevue West track but hopes to have quite a few of the runners go to state.

“I think boys and girls have a really good chance at placing top five every meet,” Ahlers said.

Bennett was part of last year’s relay along with Brandon Armstrong, Kenny Ligon and DeVante Vaughn who placed 3rd at districts for the 2012 season.

“I think the guys have improved since last year,” Bennett said, “I think we have a better team than we had before.”

Sidney Marks
Reporter 

$50
$1000