Block scheduling should be a permanent change

Gnally Boukar, Copy Editor

Remember back in the old days when we had 7 class periods a day, 47 minute long classes, and 5 minute passing periods? Students ran around the school like chickens with their heads cut off. We worried about seven assignments, plus work, plus sports, plus extracurriculars, every day. 

It seems like so long ago, but in a matter of five months our whole academic setup changed, arguably for the better. 

Before the 2020-21 school year students had up to seven assignments every day. With the modified scheduling, students’ workload is decreased and there’s additional time to get assignments done. There is less stress on students to worry about several assignments every night. While some teachers assign two assignments depending on how many lessons they cover in the extended periods, this helps students review content on days where they might not have that class. 

Additionally teachers have more time to cover content on a deeper level. There’s more class time to get help with assignments or ask questions which help students understand the material. With the extended class periods there is more time allotted to work on summatives. Gone are the days we worried about running out of time on our English essays or not finishing the problems on the back in math. Additionally classes with timed content that took up a whole class period now have time to review new material afterward. For example in AP English after our 45 minute timed essay we had time to discuss a new topic before the class ends. 

Another benefit to 100 minute periods is break time. Sitting for 47 minutes as they plow material into our brains for the next test is unbearable. In a 47 minute class period there is barely enough time to cover mandatory content let alone brain breaks. Offering students a brain break or a mask break allows us to step away from the vigorous learning to absorb and unwind before we return to class. 

Because of the fusion of 2nd period and advisory/ 7th and GPS, the purpose of advisory is actually fulfilled. Students have time to bond with a teacher or trusted advisor that they already know and feel more comfortable around because of their alternating interactions. In “regular” periods there is still more time to bond with teachers one on one. 

The only good thing about attending in-person school during COVID is block scheduling; hopefully it’s here to stay.