Broadcast manager Kristin Kennedy shares her gameday throwback music essentials

Kristin Kennedy, Broadcast Manager

Sports and 80s throwback themes are a classic combination. Throwback themes will forever be a  fan that everyone can take part in. It’s a perfect way to get everyone pumped before the games. So get ready to be transported back a few decades: I’ve put together an 80s themed playlist that will hype up your energy at any game, regardless of theme.

“Take On Me”by a-ha

This 1985 pop classic kick starts the hyped up energy that goes along with a football game. Although this song was released 35 years ago, the student section still sings along to the words as if it was still a top hit. The overall energy this song carries guarantees to put you in a great mood.

“Jump” by Van Halen 

No matter what stadium you’re watching a game at “Jump” seems to be an all time favorite . The 1984 rock anthem gets the crowd up and ready to groove along with the football game. Van Halen captured how a football game should be, energetic and exciting. 

“Living on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi

A rock classic that gets the fans singing every word whether you have listened to the full song or not, Living on a Prayer is great for timeouts on the field to keep the hype of the game still going. From 1986 to 2020, this song will remain an all time favorite for years to come. 

“Another One Bites The Dust” by Queen

This song fits perfectly for a football game because of its competitive feel. It establishes a mindset to stay on top, knocking out opponents one by one. This 1980 hit could get the crowd stomping along to the beat like a chain reaction. 

“Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar 

Football is full of tackles and stopping that ball from crossing the end zone. As a transition into offense, it’s almost a sportsmanlike way to taunt the opponents. You can sing along to the thoughts of the players maintaining the energetic feel of the offense.