BPS buys Computer Cable Connections building for $3.4 million

LeAnne Bugay, Editor-in-Chief

Bellevue Public Schools purchased the Computer Cable Connections building at 2810 Harlan Dr. for $3.4 million on Aug. 20, according to Sarpy County property records. Assistant superintendent Dr. Robert Moore said the property will be used for a future career and internship program, unofficially titled “Career Launch,” and storage.

“The people that were there, they weren’t necessarily looking to sell,” Moore said. “We went to them because its location and its size.”

Sarpy County assessed the value of the property at $2.238 million in 2019. Certified General Appraiser D. Rick Whitesides of Mitchell & Associates, Inc. appraised the property’s value at $2.7 million. Superintendent Dr. Jeff Rippe said that a down payment of around $250,000 was made to CCC to secure interest in the property.

After price negotiations, both parties agreed on the selling price of $3.4 million. The purchase was finalized on Aug. 20, and utilized bond funds to pay for the property. Nebraska Title Company facilitated the purchase.

According to the Strategic Plan Priority 4 Report in the October Board of Education agenda, Rippe, Moore, and Coordinator of College and Career Education and Program Services Brad Stueve have met with Hillcrest, CMI, Clarkson Nursing, Metro Community College, Columbus High School STEM center, and Grand Island Career Pathways to develop the program. The report also says the district is unsure if the program will be ready to launch in the 2020-2021 school year.

Moore said that BPS hasn’t decided which career pathways the programs will support, but some they are considering include automotive, health, culinary, hospitality and tourism, skills and trade, and information technology.