Band unveils new trailer

Mickenzie Hynek

Bellevue West’s new band trailer will be used to haul equipment to competitions.

Meg Gross, Opinion Editor

On Saturday, Sept. 14 at Bellevue West, the marching band unveiled their new trailer that they’ll use to haul equipment from competition to competition. Both Bellevue East and West’s marching bands were given a brand new equipment trailer, each with a unique design.

The band will use the trailer to help them haul equipment and props around, making it much more efficient than years past.

According to band member junior Cole Rausch, after years of anticipation, now was the perfect time for West to get the trailer. 

“We normally haul enough equipment to fill a semi and one or two Penske trucks because all those props and drums and electrical equipment have to get moved,” Rausch said. “Also having one big truck will help us do it a lot quicker which is always nice.”

According to band co-director Marques Eckhoff, the funding for both trailers came from many contributors such as boosters, Bellevue Public Schools, and the Bellevue Public Schools Foundation.

“The district bought the trailer and the foundation and our boosters helped pay for the trailer to be wrapped and the inside outfitted,” Eckhoff said. 

BPS Director of Transportation Richard Casey said that the BPS Foundation, one of the contributors for the trailers, helps support many scholarships, programs, and special projects.

This is a project that the district and the foundation felt was worthy of the excellent band programs that are synonymous with Bellevue Public Schools and there was a need for an improved way to move our bands to their competitions,” Casey said.

Having the trailers will do more than just help the bands transport equipment. 

“Not only was the purchase of the trailers being a good steward of taxpayer dollars,” Casey said. “I believe the trailers reflect the pride that Bellevue Public Schools has in their band programs.”

For band students, finally having the trailers will help add to the band programs. 

Everyone is excited to have the truck,” Rausch said. “It’s an awesome perk.”