Optimist Club recognizes seniors for academic achievement

Brooke Jones, Reporter

The Optimist Club is an internationally based club focused on the academic success of students in each academic department, ranging from math to communicative arts. Between the months of Feb. and March, teachers select excelling seniors from their classes to get recognized by the club.

On Feb. 27, the Optimist Club hosted a luncheon, honoring five seniors from Bellevue West for their achievements in English, computer sciences, business, art, and communicative arts. Each student was able to explain their plans for college and future careers.

Among the teachers electing students was marketing teacher and DECA sponsor Dave Shillinglaw. In his 29 years of teaching, he has nominated 20 students, including this year’s business representative and DECA Vice President senior Paige Perrone.

“I was also the head of marketing for the Thunder Brew coffee shop, which just taught me a lot more about business,” Perrone said.

Shillinglaw said that business teachers consider how many business classes each student has taken. Other teachers also look into school subject involvement and extracurriculars.

Senior and English representative Mia Treu says her involvement in Hope Squad helped her succeed in English.

“Just being able to express myself in really specific ways and help people when they need it has been really great,” Treu said.