How to ball on a budget

Emma Clark, Reporter

In today’s society we are placed on a totem pole based on wealth, looks, and material things such as clothes. It’s ridiculous that people think that wearing designer means you can dress. I’m going to give you some tips on how to cheat the system and look better than the people wearing a $400 sweatshirt.

Tip #1: Everything you want has a knock-off that’s cheaper and of the same quality.

I do treat myself to shopping and pricier stores such as Pacsun, Urban Outfitters, and Abercrombie & Fitch, but I always end up finding the same items for so much cheaper at places like Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, and H&M. There are some things you can’t buy knock-offs for without being shamed, such as Nike, Timberland, Victoria’s Secret, and other big brands. One thing I know became more popular over the summer was tube tops. Sis, I can promise no one cares if your plain white tube top is made by Kendall and Kylie Jenner or not.

Tip #2: Less money, more makeup.

On my birthday I went to Sephora to get a new highlighter, eyebrow pencil, and an eyeshadow palette. My total came out to over $100. Some high-end makeup is high-end for a reason, but there are dupes of every single big brand makeup item on the market. Utilize YouTube. There are videos of people comparing high-end to drugstore makeup and the similarities in color and quality are amazing.

Tip #3: You can pop tags with only $20 in your pocket.

I got a fur coat from a thrift store for $10. I’m not sure if it’s real, but I don’t care because real or not, it looks cute. When thrifting you have to be creative; see the item for what it can be, not what it is. I’ve made old man shirts into trendy crop tops, added personality to jeans by putting holes or patches on them, and turned scarves into headbands. The possibilities are endless and if you mess up it’s okay because the most you’ll spend is $5.

Tip #4: Fake diamonds shine almost as bright as real ones.

The old song goes, “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend,” but they don’t have to be real for them to look nice. The selection of cheap jewelry is endless. Like everything else in the world there are knock offs of every branded jewelry line. But you can’t have your cake and eat it too, so the fake diamond choker will look poppin’ but it will be fake. Why get a tiny pair of earrings that cost a fortune when you could get a fake diamond encrusted body chain for $12 at Forever 21?

Tip #5: Take your grandparents’ style.  

Vintage is in sister. Ask your grandparents if you can go through their closet. I go through my grandma’s closet and always find random, vintage designer threads. Every time I go to my  grandpa’s house I go to town in his closet. I walk away with cool windbreakers, oversized sweatshirts, weird t-shirts and jean jackets with cool patches. Not only is this a chance to get new stuff for free, but to spend time with your grandparents and hear stories behind the clothes.

Being bougie on a budget is an art. Forcing yourself to be creative makes you take pride in the masterpiece you’ve created. It’s so satisfying to have an outfit on that looks fly while still having money in your pocket to spend on the other luxuries of life.