Moderation required in taking advanced classes

Brooke Riley, Editor-in-Chief

It’s that time of the year again.

No, not spring break planning, but thinking about the classes you signed up for next year. 8th graders through juniors all signed up for the classes they think they want to be in. Choosing classes can either be a walk in the park or a slap in the face

For those who signed up or want to change their schedule to have advanced or AP classes, I highly recommend it, to an extent.

There are many great reasons to challenge yourself with higher level classes. Personal academic advancement, higher GPA, college credit and a better looking resume are just a few of the benefits of taking AP classes.

The only thing they do not tell you when you signed up is the hours of time outside of the school day that are needed to fulfill the class requirements. The homework and tests are more abundant, summer homework is required and the overall material is more in depth, and at times, can be harder to understand.

Keeping this in mind, you need to know your limits. Know what you will be able to handle as you further your high school education.

Think about jobs or other out of school commitments that you will be participating in, and take them into consideration when reviewing the classes you signed up for.

As a senior, I am glad I only took two AP classes this year. Two is enough for me to stay busy and challenged but not overwhelm myself with piles of school work. When I was a junior, I took three AP classes and one advanced class and that was enough for me to feel as if I was drowning.

When choosing classes for next year, know your limits but also challenge yourself. Give yourself enough extra time to be a teenager, hold a job and hang out with friends while also getting the most out of free education.

Find the subjects you like and think about striving for AP classes. If you have no interest in the subject, then don’t take an advanced class over it.

Overall, find ways to enjoy your years in high school. Don’t drown yourself in school but it will be worth your time to academically push yourself in one or two areas rather than piling up a full schedule of AP classes.