‘Ahsoka’: a franchise’s ‘New Hope’?

Lucasfilm Ltd.
Star Wars: Ahsoka premiered Aug. 23 and new episodes are released on Tuesdays.

After three years of anxious excitement “Ahsoka” has finally arrived, and I’m elated to say that it doesn’t disappoint. It’s safe to say that the series is a slam dunk for a franchise that has been slouching as of late. With any luck it at least serves as a sign of things to come for “Star Wars.”

“Ahsoka” sees the return of Ahsoka Tano (Rosario Dawson) in her third live-action outing since her cameo appearance in “The Mandalorian.” The series follows Ahsoka in her quest to prevent the return of Grand Admiral Thrawn (Lars Mikkleson) and the resurrection of the Galactic Empire after the events of “Return of the Jedi.” Along her path she reunites with familiar friends such as Sabine Wren (Natasha Liu Bordizzo) and Hera Syndulla (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), and encounters new foes seeking to restore Thrawn’s power such as enigmatic former Jedi Baylan Skoll (Ray Stevenson) and his apprentice Shin Hati (Ivanna Sakhno).

It’s important to note that many of the characters and plot points of the series are actually carried over from previous Star Wars series and works, Ahsoka and Thrawn being the most notable examples seeing as they both originate from animated series and novels. The characters of Sabine Wren and Hera Syndulla are carried over from the series “Star Wars: Rebels”, and so is the narrative crux of Thrawn’s exile. Despite the show’s reliance on legacy characters and plot elements it is not necessary to have watched or read any previous works to enjoy the series.

Something that is much appreciated with this series is its clear narrative focus. From the first episode of the season the show establishes a clear throughline for the story, finding Thrawn and preventing him from returning and uniting the remnants of the Empire. This comes as a breath of fresh air, since the third season of “The Mandalorian” which released earlier this year lacked an overall focus for the majority of the season.

When it comes to the performances Rosario Dawson is undoubtedly perfect in the role of the titular Ahsoka. Dawson brings a great sense of wisdom and maturity to the role that truly demonstrates how far Ahsoka has come since her introduction in “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” and a side of the character that sadly wasn’t able to shine through in her one episode appearance in “The Mandalorian.” That’s not to say that the other performances are anything to scoff at though, such as the late Ray Stevenson who turns in an enthralling performance as fallen jedi Baylan Skoll, who serves as a compelling foil in his and Ahsokas’ race to find Thrawn.

Despite the show’s reliance on legacy characters and plot elements it is not necessary to have watched or read any previous works to enjoy the series.

— Andrew Callison

All of the performances go a long way in enhancing the more character driven conflict and drama of the series. The primary of which being that of Ahsoka and her rough relationship with her former apprentice Sabine Wren. It becomes immediately apparent that the two aren’t exactly on the best of terms, but they both reluctantly join forces to stop Thrawn.

The production design of the show is also one of the many aspects that are on point. Many of the practical sets such as the interior of Ahsoka’s shuttle are large and highly detailed. Even the grand CGI landscapes are quite impressive such as the spires of Lothal or the shipyards of Corellia. 

Overall, “Ahsoka” is a solid entry in the Star Wars saga with an intriguing narrative and strong character writing. As a result the series possesses elements to tide over both hardcore and more casual viewers alike, so even if you’re not the biggest Star Wars fan in the world you’ll still probably find something you like about it. This series is definitely a must-watch for any Star Wars fan and at least recommended for anyone else curious about checking it out. 

$50
$1000