African-American Student Leadership Council plans activities for Black History Month

David Berger

Members of the African-American Student Leadership Council dress in 70s era attire to kick off Black History Month.

Mooshoo Tran, News Editor

The African-American Student Leadership Council will celebrate Black History Month by sponsoring spirit days and having a table for games during lunch. Members of the council are also doing research on lesser known black leaders to share during the month. Each lesson touches on issues that are impacting minority groups in America.

“We’re going to have some spirit days that are actually just gonna be within the group,”  sponsor Danielle Turner said. “They’re kind of a surprise.”

Although the dress-up spirit days are exclusive to AASLC members, students are encouraged to stop by their table at lunch and participate in games.

“There are a lot of specific things that I want to do,” Turner said. “But the main thing is that I really want to give the African-American students here a sense of community and somewhere they can go and be safe and share their experiences, also a place for allies to come and hear about what we would call the ‘black experience’.”

The AASLC meets bi-weekly in the auditorium and is a council for all students, regardless of race.