“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” delivers diversity, independence in its main character

Ayanna Solomon-Smith, Reporter

The Netflix Original movie “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” is the type of movie that you could sit down while indulging in a whole pint of ice cream. This film is based off the book by Jenny Han, about a girl, Lara Jean, who wrote five different letters to each one of her crushes and each of those letters were mailed without Lara Jean’s knowledge.

I would like to applaud the casting director of the film for not whitewashing it. The main character Lara Jean (Lana Condor) is a Vietnamese-American high school girl who is quirky but cool. She’s not a typical nerdy girl who everyone makes fun of, she just kind of exists at her school. It’s rare to see someone Asian as a main character who isn’t a stereotype.

Even though the movie is about Lara Jean and her crushes, it doesn’t show her being obsessed with the boys.

Lara Jean is an independent woman that doesn’t need a man to feel valued. For example, in the movie there’s a scene where she and her crush Peter (Noah Centineo) had a falling out, but she wasn’t self-pitying about it. She went back to doing the things she used to do before being around him all the time. It’s refreshing to see the girl act like she’s fine with or without the the love interest.

Now let’s talk about the hunk of the movie. Peter Kavinsky can be my fake/real boyfriend any day. He’s seems like your basic popular jock that runs the school but he’s caring, funny, cute, and plays lacrosse. What a man, if I do say so myself.

He actually expresses his feelings to Lara and shows that he has true feelings for her. Guys are used to hearing that they should be tough and never show emotions to the world but Peter doesn’t adhere to those rules. He talks about how he feels throughout the movie, and I find it refreshing to see a guy break down his barriers in a romantic comedy.

My only issue with “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” is that the ending was kind of abrupt and weird. It messed up the mood and it made me uncomfortable. Not because they kissed, but because it just seemed like the director needed a cute ending so she made them kiss.

“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” was absolutely entertaining despite being cheesy. Throughout the whole movie I was intrigued because it was like I was by her side the whole time through thick and thin. You can bet that I will watch it as many times as I can before it leaves Netflix.

A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that Peter Kavinsky played rugby in the film. He plays lacrosse. The story has been updated to reflect that change.