Recap: Girls’ soccer shuts out Omaha Northwest

Nathan Hawkins, Broadcast Manager

What Happened: On Monday, March 26, the Bellevue West girls soccer team routed Omaha Northwest 6-0. The win put the T-Birds at 2-3 on the season, while the loss for Omaha Northwest put them at 1-5.

By the Numbers: The game was sparked by freshman Sarah Banks. Banks, who had not scored a goal in any of the previous games, achieved a hat trick, scoring the first three goals, all in the first half. In the second half, sophomore Lauren Keith scored two goals, while junior Allison Romero pitched in with her first goal of the season. On the passing end, junior Abby Smith assisted half of the goals in the game. Allison Romero also pitched in with two assists, while junior Paige Perrone had one. On defense the T-Birds were stout, as junior goalies Jenna Floro and Parker Lauterbach had to make very few saves. The Omaha Northwest offense could rarely get any legitimate attack going, as they only had three total shots on goal all game.

Did you see that?: The T-Birds got going early and never looked back. Under ten minutes into the game, Abby Smith set up Sarah Banks with a lead pass. Banks had room for a run to the goal, where she easily scored the first goal in the game. The goal got the momentum going for the Thunderbirds, and they never took their foot off of the gas.

Up Next: The T-Birds will head right back into action tonight at 7 p.m. at Omaha Bryan High School, looking to move to .500 on the season with a win against the 0-4 Bryan Bears.