Staff Editorial: Take advantage of free ACT tests at school

Brooke Riley

A stack of ACT prep books sits on a table, waiting to be studied.

Brooke Riley, Editor-in-Chief

2017 is the first year the NeSA test has been thrown out the window for juniors and instead a mandatory ACT will take its place. By now, students know and accept this change; some with praise and some annoyance.

Although the test is a grueling three and a half hour race, it is not a test to take lightly. Despite popular student opinion, it is an important opportunity to take advantage of.

Compared to the NeSA, the mandatory ACT has a real purpose. A majority of colleges, especially in the midwest, look at students’ ACT scores before considering them for admission. This test would affect students more than just giving them a chance for open campus lunch.

The ACT with writing costs $58.50 but on April 19, the state will pay for every junior’s test.

For some students it’s hard to make ends meet, let alone pay for a standardized test. With this free test, everyone has the same opportunity to send in a college entrance exam.

Seniors who missed this opportunity wish it was mandatory their junior year. It is a great opportunity to take a free test, acquire the necessary skills from the practice test and get a jump start on college.

For sophomores and freshmen, the best bet for now is to remember to keep practicing and to use the fall mandatory practice test as a reference of strengths and weaknesses. The more practice, the better the actual score will be.

Juniors have the opportunity to take the test and it is in their best interest to try their hardest. There is nothing to lose. Whether time was taken to study or not, all juniors must take it. Might as well try hard the first time.

Whatever mindset juniors have going into this test, remember this is a great opportunity to take advantage of.

Juniors, sophomores and freshmen need to take advantage of the practice tests and the real test now that it is handed to students. For those interested in furthering their education after high school, it’s better to try hard on the free test rather than pay to take it again.