Loyselle, Mullendore wrap up golf season with state appearance

Nathan Hawkins, Reporter

As the summer winds down and the school year approaches, students everywhere are in the school hype. Getting the new outfits, the supplies, and trying to get in those last summer memories before the walls of school confide them for the next nine months. For business teacher David Shillinglaw, however, the early August time not only means school; it means girls golf.

Shillinglaw has coached Bellevue West girls golf for the past 21 years. This season his golf team finished between 2nd and 8th in every tournament. Also, two players qualified for state.

Those players were junior Grace Loyselle and sophomore Emma Mullendore.

He praised the contributions they made to the team.

“They had to play and get a top 10 individual score at districts to make state, which isn’t easy,” Shillinglaw said. “Emma got 4th place by herself and Grace tied for 10th which got her into state, so I’m really happy with how they did.”

Although he recognized the contributions of Mullendore and Loyselle, he acknowledged that the team needs work.

“I expect them to play a lot this summer and to get better so we have a chance to qualify for state as a team next year,” Shillinglaw said.

The team as a whole this season was solid, finishing tournaments anywhere from second place– which they achieved at the Lincoln Northeast Invitational–to 8th place.  Shillinglaw would like to get those team scores up as a whole

“I’m happy that Grace and Emma played well but we really need three of the other girls to step up and get a better team score.”

Loyselle and Mullendore had a lot of responsibility, as not only were they state qualifiers, but they were also the co-captains of the girls varsity golf team.

“As a captain you practice and try to give tips to all the other players on the team,” Mullendore said.

Mullendore, who medaled 4 times this season, hopes to do even better next year.

“I hope that I can improve from my scores this season and finish better at state.”

At the state tournament in Norfolk, Mullendore finished at +42 which tied for 22nd, while Loyselle finished at +63 which tied for 53rd.

Loyselle was proud of how she did this season.

“I achieved a lot of my goals that I set for myself, like going to state,” Loyselle said. “I’m just hoping to do a bit better next season.”

Loyselle not only made it to state, but she also medaled three times and finished in first place at the Tregaron tournament.

Although the season for her was good, she’s hoping to do even better next year.

“Next year placing higher in state is a big goal of mine,” Loyselle said. “I’m hoping to achieve that by practicing hard and improving my game.”

With the hard labor of golf having reached its season’s end, the focus is on improvement.

“I always miss it when it ends,” Loyselle said. “I can’t wait until the next season to begin.”